Monday, February 16, 2009

Alaska in St. Louis...Winter 1976 or 77

I was working at the time as a carpenter for Higginbotham Bros., a custom home builder. As you can see we had a heavy snowstorm in the area and as a result work was called off. It was really cold at about 10 degrees for the high and everything was frozen over. I decided to take Alaska in my 1968 Rambler American and drive to the St. Louis riverfont overlooking the Mississippi River where a few years prior I worked as a deckhand on the riverboats.
There was hardly anybody outside at the time and virtually no traffic. Alaska felt right at home in the cold weather as it was like summertime for him.
The old St. Louis Court House is in the background. On the right are towers of an old apartment building that would become the Adam's Mark Hotel. I worked there as a carpenter until its grand opening in about 1987.

(click on image to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: