Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Michael & Catherine Geraghty and Family


click on image to enlarge
My Great Grandfather, Michael Geraghty was born in Ireland in 1870 and my Great Grandmother, Catherine Ryan was born in Ireland in 1872. Michael was 12 and Catherine was just 10 when they immigrated by boat across the Atlantic to the United States. It must have been quite an experience for each child in 1882 as they were leaving their birthplace and history behind.
By the year 1890 Michael and Catherine had met, become sweethearts, and married. Della A., my Grandmother was born in 1892 and her brother, Michael J. was born two years later. He was to later be known as Mickey, my Great Uncle who operated a corner tavern and Bar-B-Que near the Soulard area of St. Louis. The story goes that Della loved the pigs ears that Mickey prepared on his grill. ( I remember as a young kid in the 50' s visiting his tavern with my family.)
The above image is taken from the 1910 US census for St. Louis. Michael was 40 and his wife, Catherine was 38 at the time. Michael, the father worked as a laborer for the Gas Company. Della was now 18 and working at the shoe factory as a "Fore Lady". Mickey also worked at the shoe factory and he was a "Machine Hand".
The Geraghty's rented a house at the time on 1421 Cleary Ave that was to become the location of Pruitt-Igoe housing complex that was later built in the mid-1950's. My Aunt Dolly shared with me that Michael & Catherine had 2-3 other children, but they had passed away. Julia died of pneumonia on June 21, 1901 when she was just 3 years, 9 months, and 28 days old. Julia was laid to rest at Calvary cemetary. She was my Great Aunt.
Ten years later on the 1920 US census Michael, Catherine, and Mickey were still living at the same address. By this time Della had moved out of the house and was married to Joseph Froehly for two years. They had a little girl named Virginia who was to become my Mom.

No comments: