Monday, June 30, 2008

Mom & Dad's Wedding Day...Oct. 21, 1939


Meet my Mom & Dad ....Mr. & Mrs. Amel Simmons.
What a great day for them! Of course this was way before I knew them and you can tell they were very happy to be together. My Mom was a city girl in St. Louis, Mo.& my Dad was a country boy from Salem, Mo. They met one another at a carnival that came thru the area so I am told. My Mom was living with her parents and twin brothers on Lotus Ave. (I believe.). Mom's sister was married and living across the street. My Dad was living with his aunt not too far away and working for an autobody shop. Mom already had a daughter Mary who was about 5yrs. old at the time and so Mom, Dad, & Mary became a family.
My Mom is Mary Virginia and was known as Virginia. Her Mom & Dad, brothers, & sister called her 'Gin'.
My Dad is Amel Wilson. My Mom used to call him 'A', however when it was really important or urgent she called him Amel. I have heard some people call Dad by A.W. Some men he later came to work with at Wagner Electric called dad Al.

No comments: