Monday, June 30, 2008

Bobby pitches No-hitter...Wednesday, June 28,1961


It was a warm, humid St. Louis evening and I was feeling a bit sluggish before gametime as I had spent the day cutting grass & pulling weeds. I had a chance to get a quick bite about an hour before loosening up in the bullpen. It's funny...I always felt a little better about myself going into a game when feeling this way. My focus was good and I seemed to reach back for a little bit more. While warming up I made sure to simply toss the ball in the beginning to my catcher, Larry Hartstein. Gradually, my speed would pick up and after 15-20 minutes I was ready to face my first batter.


On this particular night I had some extra motivation as my sister Mary had just given birth two nights prior to my new nephew, Mark.


Our game started at 6:30 and by this time I was feeling good & loose as my fastball was loudly popping like a firecracker in my catcher's mitt. My curveball had something special tonight as it had a very tight rotation and a real nice snap. I knew the other team was it trouble on this night and it was just a matter of going out there and staying focused.


To the left of the ad for Hawaii now for $80.10 (from California) you can read the caption of my first no-hitter. My brother, Jack who was in the Air Force would turn 19 on this long, summer day. He was probably stationed at Randolph air base in Lackland, Texas at this time

By 1961 my parents, JoAnn, and myself were living in Olivette, Mo at 1135 Olivaire Lane. JoAnn would not be staying long as she was about find a place in St. louis to live. By this time Mary & Lou would be also living in Olivette on Queensridge Drive with Karen and now Mark, their newborn son. Mary, Lou, and Karen had moved from an apartment on Dale Ave. in Richmond Heights, Mo.

No comments: