Saturday, June 27, 2009

839 Westwood Dr. Ballwin, Mo


This is the house that my parents purchased in 1962. It was a new Mayer Rascher Mayer home in Claymont out off of Clayton Road in Ballwin, Mo. This happens to be the Algonquin model and has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a 3 car garage. It also had a full basement. It was a great home then and still looks great today. The subdivision is currently in wonderful condition and I could easily be content living there today.

(Click image to enlarge)

When we moved into this house I thought we moved to the boonies. It was pretty far out for our previous home in Olivette and people back then would commonly ask "where is Ballwin".

We were one of the early families to move into the Claymont subdision and where we lived would come to be known a year later as "old Claymont". The subdivision became quite popular as many homes were built there. It was a cool place to live. We had a Bath & Tennis Club in the middle of the development and I was able to make a lot of friends swimming & playing tennis there in the summertime. Behind the Bath & Tennis there was a good-sized pond to play all year round. During the winter the pond would freeze over & we'd skate & play hockey there.

It amazes me how large the trees have grown. I remember the pine tree on the left side of the house when it was about 7 feet tall. Today it must be about 50 foot tall and is simply huge. I knew this yard very well at one time as I cut the grass here & pulled many weeds.

By the time this house was purchased my sister, JoAnn was gone & my brother, Jack had left to join the Air Force. As a result, I became somewhat of an only child. It was interesting tho as my sister Mary & Brother-in-law Lou Kirn bought the same model house just down the street. My niece, Karen & nephews Mark & Kevin grew up there. In a way they became kind of like my younger siblings.

When I revisit my old house on Westwood I am captivated by the sight of it and the memories of my past. I had many friends in the area that I grew up with and so many wonderful experiences there.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: